We’re always saying, “What you put on your skin goes into your body.” We also believe that the environment in your home affects your body. Some sources say that indoor air pollution can be up to 10 times worse than outdoor air pollution because of contaminants such as mold, mildew, dust mites, household products, pesticides, fireplaces and gas stoves. (Read more about the 10 potentially harmful everyday products that you may have in your home.)
Here are some tips for reducing the toxic buildup in your home, written by Shelley Peterman Schwarz at MakingLifeEasier.com.
Leave shoes at the door to avoid tracking in dirt and molds, and more importantly herbicide and pesticide residues. Also, steam clean carpets and furniture (without chemicals) regularly to kill dust mites and other germs.
Use non-toxic products like vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide for cleaning; citrus oils for air fresheners; and even flea and tick treatments for your pets made from non-toxic diatomaceous earth or eucalyptus.See the short video below, from National Geographic’s The Green Guide, on making your own cleaning products with eight basic DIY cleaning ingredients, or visit Natural Health Lifestyles.
Use organic fertilizers and herbicides and choose zero-VOC paints and varnishes.
Let dry cleaning air outside or in the garage for at least 24 hours, and let any new fabrics, drapes, upholstered furniture, or carpet off-gas for at least 2 to 3 weeks before bringing into the house. NOTE: Carpet must be rolled out flat to off-gas.
What do you do to rid your home of harmful chemicals?